Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Tool Box

Until recently, I only had a couple of tools in my box. You know, just enough to get by. A hammer and a screwdriver. If I can't find the hammer, I use the end of the screwdriver to get the job done. Not very efficient, but hey, it works in a pinch! My Father is telling me that I need to do more than just get by. He is adding some new tools to my box. I am not really sure how to use them yet, but He is promising to add more each day.

I blurt out, "Daddy, I stink at math! Why would I need a tape measure?" (It's possible there was a "tone" in that question.)

He replies with a chuckle, "Because you don't have to measure up, I am going to give you all the direction you need."

Next he adds a level. Great. A level.

"Ummm, staying level-headed is not really my strong suit," I quietly say, while digging my toe into a pile of saw dust.

He smiles, "I know."

I hear the level drop in, and wonder how long it will be until I lose it. I am pretty sure it won't take very long.

CLANK!

"What was that?" I ask, while jumping into a corner of the workshop. "That was an awful sound! It looks like a weapon!"

"Don't be afraid, it's just a crowbar. You are going to need it to pry a lot of strong-holds out of your life," Daddy says in a more serious tone. "As long as you follow my instructions, you will find this releases a lot of tight spots and unwanted, rotten boards."

At this point, I am thinking about that one squeaky board that I have grown fond of. Maybe He won't notice...no, He definitely noticed. Now my heart sinks. Am I going to have what it takes to pry that thing up? It's been there a while, and I trip over it every time. Yeah, that has got to go.

Wow, look at all of those beautiful tools Daddy has placed in my box! I gingerly pick up the crowbar. There is a squeaky board we need to deal with...

2 Corinthians 10:4-6


"For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; and having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled."


Until next time,

The Carpenter's Daughter

2 comments:

  1. I love your writing style. Very beautiful and straight to the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Angela. That really means a lot coming from you (since your blog is one of my favorites). :)

    ReplyDelete