Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Twinkle in His Eye

I went to bed last night with a lot on my mind. There were so many faces staring back at me when I tried to sleep. Little eyes and ears that are (right now) straining to see and hear about my Heavenly Father. Those little faces are halfway across the world, and yet I feel like they are closer. I want to reach out and hug each one. My heart leans towards their haunting eyes...eyes without hope. And yet, here I struggle. I struggle with being still and talking with my Father. I bustle about the workshop and get sidetracked by all of the different tools. I even find myself playing in the pile of curly wood shavings and blocks of cedar that have been cut away from many past projects. My Father...oh, how He can create much out of nothing! So, why is it that I doubt and have so many questions? Like a normal kid, I want to know: "Why, why, why?" I pester and I probe. But do I listen...? Ahhhhhh, here lies the problem. I don't want to take the time to sit and listen. I want my Daddy to just take down the candy jar, pat me on the head, and send me off on a big adventure. Instead, I feel He wants me to sit on the bench and learn about the trade. Building, carving, sanding, measuring... Oh, there is so much to learn! I wiggle. I drop tools. I get splinters. But always, He is most patient. Don't get me wrong, He is also firm. I can hear Him telling me to sit still and pay attention. His tone is loving, but concerned. He is concerned that if I do not pay attention, I might glue my hand to a board, or step on a nail. I have to PAY ATTENTION. He wants to show me his blueprint. My Father doesn't do anything without a perfect plan. He is careful, steady, and...patient. He is not working on a timetable. He is infinite.

Finally I say, "Okay, Daddy, I will sit here and listen (wiggle, wiggle). Please help me to endure, because patience in not my middle name."

He says (with a twinkle in His eye), "My grace is sufficient for you."

In that moment, I know that He truly does hold the entire world in the palm of his hands. I look up and catch the reflection of those little one's eyes in His. It turns out that he knows them all by name, and even counts the hairs on their precious heads! He just wants to talk to me about them...now, I am listening. (Wiggle, wiggle.)

"What marvelous love the Father has extended to us! Just look at it—we're called children of God! That's who we really are. But that's also why the world doesn't recognize us or take us seriously, because it has no idea who he is or what he's up to. But friends, that's exactly who we are: children of God. And that's only the beginning. Who knows how we'll end up! What we know is that when Christ is openly revealed, we'll see him—and in seeing him, become like him. All of us who look forward to his Coming stay ready, with the glistening purity of Jesus' life as a model for our own." (John 3:1-2)

Until next time,

The Carpenter's Daughter

4 comments:

  1. Ah, yes. Which is harder...to be still or quiet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have continued to be my blessing today! This post takes me back to being a little girl my father had a woodshop. My father is very sick now and his activity is very limited but this post took me back to my memories of him working. I can see him moving around working on projects and TEACHING me. Oh did I wiggle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have issues with both. Ha,ha,ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jaime. Your earlier story touched me. I love the heart that God has put into your family. I am so sorry that your father is sick. My father struggled with cancer (he has been healed), so I know how hard it can be to see your big, strong dad suddenly weakened. In his little girl's eyes, Daddy is always strong! God is constantly reminding me that He is the only One strong enough for me to lean on. He is also the only One who can put up with this constant ~wiggling~. ;)

    ReplyDelete