Saturday, November 27, 2010

Who Wants Cake!?!

My Father's birthday is next month. He never wants anything fancy, or new. In fact, He always wants the same thing! I will tell you all about that soon.

Today, I am baking Him a cake. Of course, He always gives away every slice. He loves to see His children smile, as they get their piece. I can hear Him laugh the loudest when the babies use the icing as a hair product. Even though He always gives away every slice, I want it to be the perfect cake. I want to bring Him an offering of sweetness that fills the room with the smell of vanilla orchids, and butter cream. I think I will decorate the cake with tiny, golden sugar bells, and little red birds, made from frosting. White lilies will line the border. There should be three tiers...yes...we always need more cake.

As I tie bows around the cake pedestals, I think about how this reminds me of the way my life is tied up in my Daddy. I also think about the things that are not tied up in Him. How I tend to be greedy with my cake sometimes. How I don't always want to share my piece. I mean, I worked hard to make that cake. I took the time to choose the finest crystalized sugar, to make it sparkle and eye-catching. I had to make the mess, mix the batter, grease the pan...it's hard work! I should at least enjoy my piece in...uh...peace, right?

As I pipe the lilies around the edges, I can hear my Daddy's laughter in corners of my memories. It's contagious. It makes me want to hear more. I want to listen to that sound as much as possible. And I know just how to get Him started.....

...share my piece with a baby....

...and watch that little one use the icing as a hair product...

...and laugh until my sides hurt. No, WE will laugh until our sides hurt! This would be shared laughter, the best kind. The only kind that brings tears of joy, and makes your sides split.

My Daddy just peeked around the corner. He has already started inviting guests to His party. Are you going to come? There will be plenty of cake.

We'll talk about the GIFT soon.

Until next time,

The Carpenter's Daughter

P.S. My Father is the One who provided the ingredients for the cakes AND paid for the Gift! He invites you to the party to RECEIVE this Gift freely, AND to partake in the the sweetness of His glory. You are NOT going to want to miss this party!

“Taste and see that the Lord is good.
Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!”

Psalm 34:8

0 comments:

Post a Comment